Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Teach Me Tuesday - Glittered Chipboard Letters

Hello again and welcome to another Teach Me Tuesday tutorial featuring products from MB's Treasurista! I wasn't able to create a video for this tutorial so I took a million pictures! :p I literally took a picture of each step for this tutorial. 


Here we go!!!! MB's Treasurista is now carrying light weight chipboard. I recently purchased the Tim Holtz Word Play die and wanted to try my hand at making glittered letters. So I did!!! 

List of supplies:
light weight chipboard
acrylic paint
tacky glue
glossy accents
Tim Holtz Word Play die
fine glitter
paint brush



First you will trim down a piece of the lightweight chipboard to diecut with the Word Play die. Then cut out with your diecutting machine.


Here is the letter after it has been cut:


Then you will take whatever acrylic paint you are wanting to use. I chose a color that was very close to the glitter color I used to be sure if some glitter didn't stick it would be less noticeable. 


After you have chosen the color you want to use you will then paint your chipboard piece. It doesn't have to be painted perfectly just a thin layer of paint. 


I then use my heat tool to be sure the paint is completely dry before moving onto the next step.


After the paint is thoroughly dry I used a tacky glue to add glue to the entire painted chipboard piece.


After the letter is covered then you will dump your glitter over the wet glue. This is my favorite part! :)

Be sure you have covered the entire letter and do not have bare spots. After you are sure you love the way the glitter looks you will the cover the glittered letter with glossy accents. You really want to place a thick layer of glossy accents over the letter.



You will then let it dry for quite some time. The best thing I have found for me is to do this last step before I go to bed for the night that way the glossy accents can dry the entire night before I touch it. I can't tell you how many I have messed up because of impatience. 

Here is what the letter looks like completely dry:



I love the look of the finished product and can't wait to show you what I have made with these letters!!! :) Be on the lookout for it soon! If you have any questions please leave me a comment!!!

XoXo,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment